Shifting to a new residence or office setup requires detailed, meticulous and step-by-step procedure. This ensures a seamless, smooth movement of all items from one place to another. Generally, the preparation starts two months in advance.
Two months in advance
- Decide what furniture and items to take and what not to.
- Decide on items that require extra insurance coverage.
- Decide on the kind of packing required for each item. For example, glass, crockery etc need extra care.
- Make a list of prospective companies and their quotes.
- File neatly the bills and receipts. Also, make a list of those cartons assigned to specific rooms in your new home and the items included in it.
- If you have school-going children, get the formalities of transfer finalised.
One month in advance
- Finalise the moving company and their quotes and finish the initial payments.
- Start packing items in their respective cartons. Be careful in handling items like breakables, jewellery and valuables.
- Start using up the perishables.
- The following should be notified of your shifting status –
- Post office
- Brokerage firms
- Insurance company
- Health care provider for your medical reports
- Employer’s HR department
- Newspapers, magazines
One week in advance
- Get a few days off from work for shifting.
- Shift valuables in the safe box from your old bank to the new one.
- Purchase medicines for a couple of weeks in advance.
- Finish any intended service for your car or any electrical devices.
- Pack a few clothing and essentials separately in a suitcase.
- Clean your new home.
One day in advance
- Defrost your refrigerator by unplugging it the night before.
- Double check on grills, heaters, water hose etc. so that they are in order before leaving.
- Keep cash ready for final payments and tips.
On the day of moving
- Protect the floors during movement of the cartons and furniture.
- Cross-check the details of the truck that comes for moving with the details given on the receipt.
- Make your bed, set up the toiletries for a good shower and stock up with required groceries.
This is a monumental task to do on one’s own. Black Tie is one of the INC500 listed companies that can help you with a stress-free relocation process. What remains is to allow yourself to be peacefully absorbed, into your new home and a new world.